The Hessian Enrollment Regulations state that “students can be granted leave during maternity leave, parental leave, or for relatives in need of care”.
You are entitled to a maximum of 6 semesters on leave for pregnancy, maternity leave, and parental leave. Seek consultation with your study guidance or faculty for advantages and disadvantages prior to the application of a semester on leave or part-time studies and make a decision afterwards.
Conditions for a leave of absence
- Semesters of leave due to maternity/ parental leave can only be applied for with a medical certificate or the birth certificate.
- The application must be handed in by 1st April (summer semester) and respectively by 1st October (winter semester) at the university.
- A leave of absence does not excuse from paying the semester fee.
- A retrospective leave of absence cannot be granted for a completed semester.
- During the leave of absence you keep your student status.
- BAföG is not paid during during the leave of absence – but perhaps ALG II. More information can be found here.