FAQ Study financing during corona

There is a lot of different information on the internet, which is confusing and not always seriuos. We put together some important FAQs, with an overview of reliable site for you.

If you have any questions about the Federal Student's Assistance Act (BAföG), you can contact the BAföG-Amt . For all other financing options, you can consult the social and financial advisory offices.

Please note that we currently only provide advice by telephone or e-mail.

Students who generally are no longer entitled to BAföG and either partially or entirely finance themselves, can assert their claim for rent subsidy (Wohngeld) or – in special cases of hardship – for Hartz IV as a loan.

If you are on leave of absence or you study part-time, you may be entitled to Hartz IV as a state aid.

Status 09.04.2020: This depends on the residence permit.
In the case of international students with a residence title "for study purposes" (§ 16 AufenthG), Hartz IV or housing allowance may have a negative effect on the residence permit.

Please contact the social and financial counselling service at the Studentenwerk or the International Office at your university before you apply.

By submitting an application to the responsible social service provider, your application will either be confirmed or declined. This service is free of charge and you may submit the application by mail. You have a legal claim to this application and a notification.

This depends on the individual case and is based on the legal regulations. Therefore, we recommend submitting and application, as this is the only way to check your entitlement.

Effective 30.04.2020:
The Federal Ministry of Education will provide emergency aid for students. This should consist of two parts: a KfW loan-> and a grant that is to be paid out through the Studentenwerk.

We do not currently have any further information on how and when. As soon as we have specific information, we will inform you on our homepage.

Information provided by the BMBF: FAQ on bridging assistance for students->

Effective 09.04.2020:
There is the possibility of an inexpensive loan. The terms and conditions as well as more information concerning the application are available at->

The Studentenwerk is a distribution partner for the student loan (Studienkredit) of the KFW bank. Here you can find updated information ->

For severe emergencies, perhaps you can receive a short-term loan of 350 €.
Please consult the social and financial advisory offices per mail with a brief description of your situation at finanzierung(at)studentenwerkfrankfurt.de

Yes. Please consult the social and financial advisory offices per mail with a brief description of your situation at finanzierung(at)studentenwerkfrankfurt.de

It may be worthwhile to look for smaller, local, regional or earmarked foundations that offer financial help to people in need. The websites of cities and local communities can help you with your search.

You should also keep an eye on the Foundation fort the Highly Talented

In emergency situations, please also contact the student advisory services and international offices at your university and the ASten directly.

Corono aid fund for students of the HfMDK->

An interest-free loan is granted by the AStA of the FRA UAS. You can find out more about it here ->

Further emergency aid is also offered by the university communities of the churches:

Protestant Student Community Frankfurt am Main->

Catholic University Parish (KHG) Frankfurt am Main->

Corona emergency aid Hildegardis Association->

Inform your landlord, health insurance provider and all other offices you have agreements with and ask for a temporary deferral.

Ask your employer for a written notification so that you have proof of your emergency. You may need it at some point.

Link recommendations sorted by topics

Obtain information from primary sources, such as the websites of the offices that provide the financial support.

Pay attention to the date of publication.